Tuesday, May 17, 2011

100 Greatest Movie Villains - Part 4 (#40-21)


40 - The Shark

PORTRAYED BY:
A special effects team

AS SEEN IN:
Jaws (1975)

We're gonna need a bigger boat.


39 - Hans Beckert

PORTRAYED BY:
Peter Lorre

AS SEEN IN:
M (1931)

 But I... I can't help myself! I have no control over this, this evil thing inside of me, the fire, the voices, the torment! 


38 - Eve Harrington

PORTRAYED BY:
Anne Baxter

AS SEEN IN:
All About Eve (1950)

 If nothing else, there's applause... like waves of love pouring over the footlights. 


37 - The Alien(s)

PORTRAYED BY:
Various stunt men and puppeteers

AS SEEN IN:
Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)

What do you mean, "*They* cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals! 


36 - Roy Batty

PORTRAYED BY:
Rutger Hauer

AS SEEN IN:
Blade Runner (1982)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. 


35 - Tyler Durden

PORTRAYED BY:
Brad Pitt

AS SEEN IN:
Fight Club (1999)

Fuck off with your sofa units and string green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may. 


34 - Harry Lime

PORTRAYED BY:
Orson Welles

AS SEEN IN:
The Third Man (1949)

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. 


33 - Noah Cross

PORTRAYED BY:
John Huston

AS SEEN IN:
Chinatown (1974)

I don't blame myself. You see, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place, they're capable of ANYTHING. 


32 - Frank

PORTRAYED BY:
Henry Fonda

AS SEEN IN:
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Keep your lovin' brother happy. 


31 - Amon Goeth

PORTRAYED BY:
Ralph Fiennes

AS SEEN IN:
Schindler's List (1993)

They cast a spell on you, you know, the Jews. When you work closely with them, like I do, you see this. They have this power. It's like a virus. Some of my men are infected with this virus. They should be pitied, not punished. They should receive treatment because this is as real as typhus. I see it all the time. 


30 - Detective Alonzo Harris

PORTRAYED BY:
Denzel Washington

AS SEEN IN:
Training Day (2001)

 I'm sorry I exposed you to it, but it is. It's ugly, but it's necessary... Sometimes you gotta have a little dirt on you for anybody to trust you. 


29 - Alex Forrest

PORTRAYED BY:
Glenn Close

AS SEEN IN: 
Fatal Attraction (1987)

 Well, what am I supposed to do? You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan! 


28 - Gordon Gekko

PORTRAYED BY:
Michael Douglas

AS SEEN IN:
Wall Street (1987)

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right.  Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.



27 - Dr. Christian Szell

PORTRAYED BY:
Sir Laurence Olivier

AS SEEN IN:
Marathon Man (1976)

Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe. 


26 - Alex DeLarge

PORTRAYED BY:
Malcolm McDowell

AS SEEN IN:
A Clockwork Orange (1972)

Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, ya eunuch jelly thou!



25 - Annie Wilkes

PORTRAYED BY:
Kathy Bates

AS SEEN IN:
Misery (1990)

 I am your number one fan. There is nothing to worry about. You are going to be just fine.


24 - Lex Luthor

PORTRAYED BY:
Gene Hackman

AS SEEN IN:
Superman II (1980)

 It's kryptonite, Superman. Little souvenir from the old home town. I spared no expense to make you feel right at home. 


23 - Jack Torrance

PORTRAYED BY:
Jack Nicholson

AS SEEN IN:
The Shining (1980)

 I dreamed that I, that I killed you and Danny. But I didn't just kill ya. I cut you up in little pieces. Oh my God. I must be losing my mind. 


22 - Agent Smith

PORTRAYED BY:
Hugo Weaving

AS SEEN IN:
The Matrix Trilogy (1999-2003)

 I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure. 


21 - Phyllis Dietrichson

PORTRAYED BY:
Barbara Stanwick

AS SEEN IN:
Double Indemnity (1944)

We're both rotten.